Man airlifted to hospital, animals perish in Summerside house fire

[ad_1]

A young Summerside family is shaken after a fire on Sunday night killed two of their pets, the husband in hospital and his wife wondering where they will live.

Charisa Lykow said she and her husband Nathaniel were frying donuts when the oil got too hot and set the wooden microwave rack on fire.

Luckily, their seven-month-old son was living with his great-grandmother and wasn’t home at the time.

However, Nathaniel was burned so badly that he was airlifted to a hospital in Halifax with second and third degree burns.

One of the family’s two cats and a pet rabbit died in the fire.

Their rented three-bedroom apartment was completely destroyed except for a small section in the basement. It was rent controlled and they had no rental insurance.

Charisa and Nathaniel Lykow’s seven-month-old son was not home at the time of the fire. (Charisa Lykow/Facebook)

“We can basically walk out with the TV that was in the basement and the game console that was in the basement and two grocery bags worth little trinkets,” Charisa said.

The home was attached to other homes, but no other homes were damaged, Summerside Fire Chief Ron Enman said.

“There was a lot of smoke, flames coming out of the back of the building. That’s where the kitchen was. The 58 members responded with six trucks.”

Most of the family’s belongings were destroyed in the fire. (Charisa Lykow/Facebook)

Charisa and her son traveled to Halifax on Monday to be with Nathaniel while he recovers. They are housed with family for the moment.

“As far as we know right now, once we’re out of the hospital, we’re homeless,” she said.

“Mentally I’m barely holding on, but we have a lot of people backing us up and I mean, I know we’ll bounce back, it’s just a matter of time and a lot of hard work.”

[ad_2]
Source link

Raymond I. Langston